Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mom’s Thoughts - I Love Our Shared Reflection


Buck Brannaman (the man who inspired the movie “The Horse Whisperer”) philosophizes that your horse is a mirror to your soul, a reflection of who you are. On the year anniversary of Duke’s adoption, I wanted to write about why I’d grown to love him so much and why I thought he made the choice to love me too. I started by listing out all the reasons why I loved Duke and the things he accomplished that made me proud. Then I read it back, thought about what Buck said, and started to cry at the revelation. Duke’s list was everything I accomplished or aspired to accomplish myself.

This is what I had written… 
Duke is very willing to learn. He is getting braver and showing his confidence. He is healthier, happier, and in better physical shape. He has shed lots of stress and built lots of love. He is calmer, more patient, and more trusting. He’s made friends at the barn, mastered new skills in the arena, and learned that the horse world is much bigger than what he’d experienced before. I love Duke because he is genuine about what he needs and what he gives. He doesn’t play emotional games, attempt to hide his faults, or try to be anything different than what God made him. He is the best soul on earth to “just be” with because he is completely sincere.

Duke came into my life as I was working my way out of a three-year struggle with severe anxiety and a deep depression. In the last year, Duke has helped me recover from old wounds and love myself so much more. I’d like to think I’ve done the same for him.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some beautiful thoughts, Brit!

    I think it is not coincidence but grace that brought some of us to Miran Farm at a time when we needed something to save us. Finding Miss Jean and The Natural Connection (through knowing Miss Mimi from church) saved my life, really and truly, and got me on the long, steep road out of depression.

    So, I'm right there with ya, sister! K.

    ReplyDelete