Monday, July 16, 2012

Economy Is Bad, But I Got A Job! (Week Two: Saturday, 7 July – Friday, 13 July)

Since my transition was going so smoothly, Mom set me up for my first ride with Miss Jean on Saturday. My back hooves were a tad sore because I just had my back shoes taken off the night before so I could be ready to join the herd. Other than that, I was ready to go. Miss Jean took me over to the big barn to tack me up. She put a Western saddle on me and was like, “Oh no honey, this Duke doesn’t do western.” I want a career as a hunter/jumper so I was worried. I heard her explaining to Mom, however, that we would start out in Western tack until I learned some more of the basics then swap out to the English gear. As she was getting ready to put my bridle on, I raised my head high…I hate those stupid snaffle bits. Patient as ever, Miss Jean was able to slip the bit in my mouth and I was pleased to feel that it wasn’t a snaffle-- it was a Dr. Bristol! Oh, it felt so much better.

When we got to working in the outdoor arena, I showed Miss Jean just how relaxed I was after my first week at Miran and just how nice it felt to be in the more comfortable gear I got right to work in my new, more obvious, workspace. Yay! I’m employed! Throughout the first week, Miss Jean did lots of work getting me use to lighter hands on my mouth and she started the slow process of building my muscles through trot work. Unfortunately, my back half tends to give out because I am pretty weak. She says it will just take some time. We are also working on finding a consistent rhythm so I am going over some poles and little rows of flowers. Miss Jean found out that I loved to be talked to during our trainings sessions and she gave me lots of praise when I listened to her for guidance.

When I wasn’t working with Miss Jean, I was in the small field next to the herd so we could start talking. I knew it would be important to find some friends. I talked to everyone and I really didn’t have problems with anyone. On Friday morning, I was getting a little tired of the field I was in so I took advantage of the broken electric fence to bust out for a small stroll around the long barn. I didn’t get very far before I was put in my stall. Oh well. My little adventure did afford me some time later that evening with Mom in the square paddock, where the grass is real lush. Mmmm. I started to feel like a brand new horse. Mom kept telling me how lucky she felt to have found Miran Farm and have me come into her life. Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment