Saturday, July 28, 2012

Finding a Routine (Week Three: Sunday, 15 July – Saturday, 21 July)


So I’ve slowly started getting use to the swing of things here at Miran and that has made me one happy horse. I am trying hard to make friends in the herd, but they are still a bit leery and I’ve got a couple of small booboos to prove it. I got my coggins blood test on Monday and after Mom was done hanging out with me, she turned me out in the big field. I couldn’t find the herd! Mom noticed I was really upset so she walked me over the stream and up the first hill so I could find everybody. I galloped off with a whinny because I was so happy to see them.

Me Hanging with the Herd
Miss Jean told Mom that she noticed a couple more small melanomas on my neck by my mane and near where the bridal throatlatch lies. Mom was worried so she had Miss Jean get Dr. Jay from Total Equine to come out and take a look.  Doc came out on Friday and Mom was able to join Miss Jean, Miss Carol, and Miss Laura for the exam.  Luckily Doc said it was nothing to really worry about.  He’s going to start me on Cimetidine to see if it makes them shrink and prevent further growth.  Mom stayed to spend some time grooming me after the appointment, but I just wanted to be with the herd so I busted out of my halter while I was on the crossties and bolted for the field. Mom didn’t look all that happy with me…maybe because she had to buy a new leather piece for my breakaway halter? Oh well, I’ve got the herd and that is all that matters to me right now.

I had my second lesson with Mom on Saturday. We were in the indoor this time since it was raining. We did a lot of trot work, including more practice on getting good transitions, and Mom was exhausted. HAHA!  Miss Jean told her about how I am learning to respond more to leg aids. We worked on trying to get a nice bend in our turns as we did some figure eights and serpentines. I also tend to bulge out my opposite front shoulder when turning so Mom has to work on recognizing and correcting that. I ended by showing Mom my big trot! Yeehaw! She tried to keep up with the posting…she was just a little behind…hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment